Friday 20 July 2012

February

Continuing with my Tamora Pierce Binge, I discovered a whole new series that I hadn't previously read, and I ended up loving it. Again, it's aimed at Young Adults, but displays the same quality of writing that I have come to expect from Pierce, and I would heartily recommend them to anyone - YA or not.

The Magic in the WeavingThe Power in the StormThe Fire in the ForgingThe Healing in the Vine - Tamora Pierce
*****

Magic StepsStreet MagicCold FireShatterglass - Tamora Pierce
*****

The Affinity Bridge - George Mann
*
I bought this one because of the steam-punk premise, hoping it was going to be similar to the wonderful Parasol Protectorate series, and boy was I disappointed. Cliche, predictable and with completely two-dimensional characters. The protagonist is annoying and the female lead useless. Don't bother.

The Enchantment Emporium - Tanya Huff
*****
A wonderful find - a proper grown-up fantasy with engaging characters... Just about everything I said about Tamora Pierce also holds true for Huff, but pitched at the adult market, not YA.

Grave Witch - Kalayna Price
**
This is a fun little book that makes good holiday reading. It's a trashy paperback that I devoured on an aeroplane, but would be unlikely to re-read much. A silly and fun book about modern day magic and a witch  doing unofficial work for the police. It's in the same vein as Jim Butcher's Dresden files, but with a female protagonist, and a lot less misogyny. If you want a quick paperback fix, I'd recommend this over Butcher any day.

The Lady Of the Rivers - Phillipa Gregory
***
Another Phillipa Gregory that I'd spent a long time putting off reading, for no apparent reason. A good, solid read from a great author.

Melting Stones - Tamora Pierce
****

The Will of the Empress - Tamora Pierce
*****



No comments:

Post a Comment